Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yes, I Still Make Jewelry

You may think with all my posts about paintings that I'm not making any jewelry. You're right, not a lot, but I'm still into it. I'm always trying new things, picking up new books. I'm a book fiend, and can't get enough of them. I recently picked up the latest Belle Armoire Jewelry, which while in the magazine section, is priced like a book and gives a ton of examples like a book.

The hot trend for the last few years has seemed to be using resin in jewelry. While resin is a specific product, usually two parts that you mix together, you can also find many easier things that will give a resin-like quality. Even a strong clear glue, the glossier the better, can give a resin look.

I made this necklace when I was challenged to create something using a piece of sheet music. I cut rounds out of the sheet using my scrapbooking circle cutter. I fashioned copper wire rings with loops so they would be charms on the necklace. Using my chasing hammer, I flattened the wire loops. Then I place a loop on top of a round of sheet music, and squeezed a resin-substitute into the circle. The wire was a barrier so the resin would stay in the circle. I let it dry, then I was able to create this fabulous necklace that I finished with tied fibers. Come to think of it, the other hot thing with jewelry is including fibers -- ribbons, yarn, strings. I'd say this necklace is quite cutting edge.

No comments: