Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mai Tiki, Your Tiki

I was just visiting my hometown of Cocoa Beach for a few days, and I ran across these tikis while on my walk.


The artist at Mai Tiki has created these in Cocoa Beach for over 35 years. Over time, people have placed them in their yards, the city has put them out at parks. I don't have one in my yard, but I'm thinking I might need to add one.


They are all hand-carved from palm trees.



They used to be left natural, but now you see them painted bright colors. It really is great artistry. Here's a gallery of a few I came across.














Have you seen any unusual art lately?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen some painted pigs around town. Yeah, not as classy!

Ryan said...

I want one, these are so cool.

Michelle in a shell said...

Cute! BTW- hello fellow Floridian! I love stumbling on fellow-sunshiners :)

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh my goodness. I love these! You definitely need one for your yard. I recently noticed an abandoned building with boarded up windowss and each window had a beautiful painting on it! So cool.