Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday Faces

I'm starting a new series on my blog called "Friday Faces." This came about when I took a face painting class with Dina Wakley back in October. When I say "face painting," I do not mean painting on your face, like kids will have done at festivals or parties. I'm talking about painting a face on canvas or paper. Since I've been an abstract kind of painter, the painting of a realistic, or even a whimsical face is new to me. Let me tell you, I loved her class! Before I go any farther, let me give you a link to her website so you can see what she's all about. See Dina Wakley's website here. Dina taught this 3-hour class at our local scrapbook store. I enjoyed the class so much, that I've decided painting faces is something I'd like to develop more. I know that I'll only get better through practice, so I am dedicating myself to painting 100 faces. I'm going to post some each Friday in my Friday Faces post.


Dina uses acrylic paints, inks, and pencil, on paper, to create her magic. We started out by using our pencil and drawing our first "before" face. I won't even show you that here. Then we used spray inks and stencils to create a background on watercolor paper. This first face is an outline using pencil on the background. I think it's a pretty good start.


You can see my horizontal and vertical lines that were a guide for getting the locations of the features right. The hair line is a bit high, but you'll see how that changes as I make more faces.

Here's my next one, which is painted.


I've since painted many faces, and this is still one of my favorites. One of the interesting things about this face is the eye "makeup" that you see here. I don't wear makeup very often, but I find myself enjoying adding makeup-type colors to the faces. I do wear jewelry every day, so I added an earring for her. For future faces, you'll see how I've experienced with different hair colors and skin tones.

Stay tuned to this blog, and check out my other faces on future Friday Faces.

No comments: